Complaining and Giving Instruction



Complaining
Complaints are expressions of "displeasure or annoyance" in response to an action that is seen by the speaker as unfavorable.

Making a complaint:
*      I do wish you could….
*      Excuse me, I’m afraid…
*      I wish you wouldn’t mind…
*      Would you mind (doing)….?
*      Well, it is good for you to….
*      (Honestly!) I’m fed up with …
*      I wonder if you could help me…..
*      I’m sorry to have to say this, but….
*      Look, I’m sorry to trouble you, but….
*      (Well,) this is the most unsatisfactory.
*      Wouldn’t it be a good idea to/ not to….
*      I’ve got a bit of a problem here, you see……
*      Excuse me, there appears to be something wrong…
*      Excuse me, there seems to be something wrong with…



How to make a complaint:
Responding a complaint :
If someone give a complaint, you Have To say  :
•       Oh, I’m sorry about that.
•       I can’t tell you how sorry I am
•       I wish it never happened
•       Oh dear, I’m really sorry
•       I’m so sorry, I didn’t realize
•       I just don’t know what to say
•       I'm so sorry, but this will never occur / happen again.
•       I'm sorry, we promise never to do the same mistake again.
•       I'm really sorry; we'll do our utmost/best not to do the same mistake again.
Don’t say :
•       Sorry there is nothing we can do about it.
•       I'm afraid, there isn't much we can do about it.
•       We are sorry but the food is just alright.

How to handle a complaint :
Delaying a complaint
•       I suggest you leave it with us and we’ll see what can be done.
•       I suggest you leave it with us and we’ll see what we can do.
•       I’m afraid the manager/boss isn’t in at the moment. Could you call later?
•       I’m afraid we can’t help you at the moment. Could you leave your contact phone number and address? We will contact you soon.
Rejecting a complaint
•       Well, I’m afraid there is nothing we can do about it actually.
•       Well, I’m afraid there isn’t much we can do about it.
And don’t forget to express your apologize.



Giving Instruction
•      Giving instruction is an expression for give or ask somebody to do something that we want.
Ø  The tense used in giving instruction is simple present.
Ø  Giving instruction is releveance with procedure text.
Giving instruction are:
1.  Command    
•      Verb (+ O).
 e.g:Watch out, come here, etc.
•      Please + V (+ O).
       e.g:Please clean your room.
•      V (+ O) + Please.
       e.g:Wash this towel, please.
2.  Prohibition
•      Don’t + V (+ O).
e.g:Don’t close it!
•      Don’t + V (+ O) + Please.
e.g:Don’t be noise,please.
•      Would you mind not + V-ing (+ O).
e.g:Would you mind not reading my book.

Kinds of giving instruction:
q  Verb 1, e.g:

§ Wash your hand.

§ Sit down.
q  Be + adjective, e.g:

§ Be your self.
 
        § Be a good student.
        § Be happy.    
 
q  Infinitive without to
       § Close the door                               
       § Open the window                            
       § Turn off the computer
       § Move the chair
q  Don’t + V-infinitive, e.g:

§ Don’t armb!

§ Don’t disturb!

§ Don’t touch!
       § Don’t kill him.
       § Don’t cry.
q  No + V-ing, e.g:

§ No smooking!

§ No swimming!
       § No parking !
       § No catching !
       § No diving !
Responding of instruction :
Possitive response
•       Yes, Sir.
•       Yes, Mom
•       Sure
Ok
Negative response
•       No, we won’t
•       No, i’m busy now
•       No, i’m dizy now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Admitting Mistakes and Making Promises